Tuesday, November 19, 2013

OH Canada

I just spent the weekend in hockey mad Canada and loved every second of it. As a hockey mad person myself I was in heaven. Everyone says America is mad about football and we are but we’re nowhere near as mad about football as they are about hockey. Women in Canada know more about hockey then most men in America know about football. American men know who the Dallas Cowboy quarterback is women in Canada know who the Dallas Stars 3rd line center is. \
I was in Toronto last weekend which happened to be at the same time as Hall of Fame weekend. The Hockey Hall of Fame is located in an old bank building in downtown Toronto. Toronto is the perfect location for a Hall of Fame because when you’re done touring the Hall of Fame you’re in Toronto, a fabulous  city and not say Canton , OH. The Hall has 3 major components. One is filled with larger than life displays of about 20 Hall of Famers. Gretzky ,Lemieux , Howe ,Orr are permanently on display but a handful of other rotate, also are huge displays of hockey around the world and a replica of the Canadien’s locker room from the old Montreal Forum. Another major component is the interactive fun kid zone. I jumped right in and hand a blast. Shooting on a virtual goalie and trying to stop Messier on a breakaway between the pipes. The last component is what’s called, the Great Hall .where everyone who is a Hall of Famer has a beautifully drawn picture, their version of a bust and a summary of his career. It’s also where they keep all the trophies, Stanley Cup, Conn Smythe, Art Ross etc.  If the trophies aren’t magnificent enough the stained glass roof is as awesome as any church in Europe’s
I also got to go to the Hall of Fame game at the Air Canada Center. I saw three of my all time favorite players, this year’s HOF inductees ( Chelios,Shanahan ,Neidermayer) get acknowledged, Jaromir Jagr play live for the last time probably, and a Leafs win. Well all of three of those were very exciting nothing matched the my first live in person Oh Canada, especially with six 20oz Molsens in me.If you love hockey like I do go to the Hall of Fame and catch a live game anywhere in Canada you’ll love it.


Back to hockey next week: My look at the season at the quarter poll

No comments:

Post a Comment